I don't have a story for this post, just a recipe I came up with for a yummy, healthy and satisfying weeknight dinner. I'm guessing that you have most of these ingredients in your pantry and fridge already, and this is so easy that you wouldn't think it could be so good. Also, it's a one-dish dinner, which makes cleanup that much easier. It's just good and simple food.
So if you don't know what to make tonight, try this! You'll like it! :)
Baked Chicken and Mushroom Marinara
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 mushrooms (baby bella are great), quartered or sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large handful fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or any other cheese you have on hand)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil or Italian seasoning
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Trim the fat off the chicken and cut each breast into 4 pieces. Place in the baking dish and add the mushrooms, garlic, spinach and onions. Pour the tomatoes over everything and sprinkle with grated cheese. Season with salt, pepper and basil/Italian seasoning (remember that the cheese is salty, too, so don't over-season with extra salt). Cover pan with foil and bake for 1 hour. Check chicken for doneness. Bake uncovered for an additional 10-15 minutes if needed.
Eat this dish on its own, or serve over brown rice. Makes 4-6 servings, depending on how hungry you are.