A thunderstorm came on suddenly this afternoon, and the smell of rain and sound of thunder took me back to my childhood; growing up in South Carolina, we certainly got our fair share of rain and thunderstorms and I sometimes miss that since Colorado is generally so dry. One of my favorite memories of our house in SC is of my younger brother (hopefully he won't mind my sharing this). There was a wide, very deep dip between our house and our neighbor's house that would fill with water after a week-long rain storm; it was practically a small pond when it was really full. And my brother would sit out there with a fishing pole, convinced he was going to catch a fish. It's too bad it never occurred to us to sneak a few fish in there so he could actually catch something. That would have made his day!
Something else we got plenty of on the east coast--fresh peaches. I wish they didn't have so far to travel to get to us here in Colorado. When you drive down I-85 near Gaffney, SC, there's a huge peach-shaped water tower called the Peachoid, and it was always the highlight of any road trip to see that massive peach; my brother, sister and I would giggle uncontrollably at the peach crack on one side of it since it looked like a big... you know. :) (Google it and you'll see what I mean.)
I'm headed to the store in a few hours to get a few items for dinner; tonight's dinner will be centered all around peaches. I'm really looking forward to making this meal because I so love fresh peaches with their sweet-tart juiciness and soft, fuzzy skin. It's the sort of meal I would love to make for company, so that I could make a little more of it.
Here is my menu for tonight, so pictures and recipes will be coming throughout the weekend:
- New York Strip Steak, with a Peach Balsamic Reduction sauce
- Grilled Skewers of Zucchini, Squash, Peaches, and Cherry Tomatoes
- Peach, Goat Cheese and Mint Bruschetta
- Peach Mojitos (can't forget the cocktail on Friday night, although Jamie has informed me that he won't be drinking a girly fruity drink.) :)
- And for dessert, I'm so tempted to make a warm and buttery Peach Crumble, topped with vanilla ice cream.... but, I have to resist temptation, so I'm sorry, no peach-themed dessert tonight, although I will be making a special Father's Day dessert to take to my parents' on Sunday--more on that later, though...